Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hello, it's me!


Being new to blogging, I'm using these first posts as an intro to what I like and what I do.

It's important to me that my ceramics have a sense of place, of being grounded. I take a lot of my inspiration from my local surroundings. My Wavy Bowls reflect the shape of Central Victoria's hills and valleys, although the form is something I'm constantly seeing in other natural settings eg. beach dunes or ocean waves on our family's recent holiday to Merimbula.

This bowls is decorated with leaf imprints from the huge liquidamber tree growing out the front of our house, and I've filled it with made and found beachy treasures. The glaze is an Ash Celadon, celadon being a classic Asian style glaze, with ash from our cookstove firebox acting as a flux (melting agent) and colourant (it contains small quantities of iron).

No comments:

Post a Comment